Quantum field theory is nowadays the standard formalism underlying methods to tackle quantum many-body systems. This lecture introduces basic concepts of QFT in the context of Condensed Matter physics. With practical applications in focus the lecture aims at the advanced theory student who intends to start or already started research projects in the field. Basic knowledge of quantum mechanics is a prerequisite. Knowledge of advanced QM concepts like second quantization and basic solid state phyics are advantageous but will be repeated (in swift pace) at the beginning of the lecture.
Tentative scope of the lecture (not necessarily complete):
- Repetition of second quantization
- Effective lattice models in Solid State Physics
- Single particle Green's functions and Self-energies
- Perturbation Theory (Feynman diagram technique)
- Linear response theory (Screening)